Today was much like yesterday. From the moment that the boys woke up they were ready to do some school.
Here is a much shorter recap of the days events:
- Started with some writing practice. This is probably Thing 1’s least favorite part of school.
- We also worked on some reading practice. I think this is starting to be his favorite part, because he is actually starting to be able to read words in real books. Also, I think that he responds a little better to the You Can Read sight word curriculum than he does to the Ready to Read curriculum. The You Can Read program is a little more active. There seems to be a little more variety within the program. Ready to Read, is a great program but it has several activities that Thing 1 does not respond or want to do. I think we are going to continue to do the program, however I am going to add some activities that are more similar to the You Can Read program to keep him interested.
- He was really excited about doing school today. Lately everywhere we go, if he sees the letter B, he yells, it’s a letter B. So while I worked with Thing 1 on his reading, Thing 2 started with his size sequencing. He has quickly figured out how they work.
- Next came a little pre writing practice.
- We followed up with some cutting practice.
- Lastly, planned for the day was a shape sorting activity. We started by reviewing all the shapes. Once we had reviewed all the shapes, I would give him a card and he would match it. However, once we had finished the activity he asked for the “rocks,” so he could cover up the pictures. So we turned that into a game, in that every time he put a rock on a picture he had to tell me the shape.
- I thought we were done, however, he saw the pre writing sheets with Thomas and Percy on them that he had done yesterday and wanted to do those again. Who am I to stop him?
Yes, I know he is holding the marker wrong. He was doing it right before I took the picture. Figures.
Just another day Learning with the Cameron Clan!