Today’s math objective for Thing 1 was counting to 20. We were also reviewing the letter F. Our theme was f is for fish, so as a way to incorporate both the math objective and our theme for the day, I created the fish in a tank game.
- goldfish crackers
- jar or bowl to hold fish (we used some clear jars I had)
- die (we used a 20 sided die in order to practice counting to 20)
Simply give each player some goldfish and their own fish tank.
Each person takes a turn rolling the die. The number that is rolled on the die is the number of goldfish that you put in your fish tank. We went 6 rounds and then counted the total number of fish. The one with the most fish wins.
There were several other math objective that came out of this that I would have never thought of when I came up with the game.
- Every round before I would put my goldfish in my tank, we would discuss which number was greater.
- This game also turned out to be great one to one counting practice up to 50.
- At the end, when we were counting up the total number of goldfish, I lined them up in groups of 10. This allowed me to introduce the idea of grouping to count. It also was a way to introduce the idea of skip counting.