{Our Schoolroom} in a Bag

Written by Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling

This year we have been trying something a little different with our school room.  For the past year, we have mainly conducted school in our “schoolroom” aka our formal dining room.  I spent a lot of time getting this room set up.

We have a large table for everyone to sit around.

In this picture it is covered for a home learners co op class.

I have two large bookcases.

One bookcase holds all our craft supplies (paint, paper, play dough, pipecleaners, paper plates, popsicle sticks, etc.)

The other holds the more “school” supplies like math manipulatives, magnifying glasses, science supplies, reference books, small whiteboards, calendar pieces, etc.

Although this room gets used daily for the boys craft adventures, it is no longer our primary school room.  Instead, we have had school…

in Thing 1’s room,

in the living room,

in my bedroom,

outside,

in the breakfast nook,

in the playroom.

and, of course in the classroom.

We have moved away from workboxes, which tie us to one room and I have created a classroom all in one bag.  One reason I am able to do this so easily is because I do not use the teacher’s manuals for any subject on a daily basis, so I don’t have to carry them around with me.  Instead, like I shared in my lesson plan post, each boy has a notebook, that contains their lesson plans, worksheets, and books they may need, for the next 4 weeks, as well as crayons, paper, pencil, whiteboard, and markers. Thus, I only have to pull out their notebook and we can start.  For those weeks when we made need some special supplies, like sugar cubes to make a replica of the Great Wall of China, I just throw them in a zipoc bag and put them in the bag.  (On a side note, we don’t do a lot of worksheets, I like to try to conserve paper, so we use our dry erase boards a lot, but the boys love them.  I usually take pictures of their work so that I have a copy of the work without all the extra paper.)

Besides the boys notebooks, the inside of the bag also contains a couple of clipboards and any books that don’t fit inside the boys notebooks.

In the outside pockets of the bag I have added extra supplies like, pencils, pens, dry erase markers, dry erase eraser, scissors, glue, stapler, rocks (math manipulatives), letter tiles, measuring tape, calculator (for me), and anything else we might need.

Thing 1, Thing 2 and I have really enjoyed being able to do school where ever we want each day.  I am hoping that as it cools down some, we will be able to go outside to do school more and all I have to do is pick up the bag and go.

Don’t worry, all those manipulatives on the bookshelfs, we use them regularily when we are at home, but I always have the bare essentials in my bag.

What does your schoolroom look like?

Comments: 17

1. Dawn says:

I love the bag. We are on the road a lot and that bag would come in really handy. Something to think about.
    Blessings, dawn

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

It has been really nice to just grab the bag and head off to wherever Thing 1 wishes to do school that day. He has loved being able to have school in different places.

2. Where’d you get the bag? This is similar to what I have set up for the kids: work binders! Inside their binders are calendar activities (youngest), 5 divider tabs with 5 days worth of worksheets, graph paper (Math), printables, and/or lined paper (writing, Spelling), Help Sheets (100s chart, US/World maps 8×11 size), and then I slide thin workbooks like Handwriting Without Tears into the front and back pockets. Our workbox grid and cards are in the front of the binders so they can see what they need to do each day. A few text books are out that don’t fit (of course). When we do school elsewhere I usually slip what we need into a backpack, but I’m digging the bag with the pockets on the side! LOL

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

The bag is from Thirty-one. My mother in law had one at the beach during our vacation and I knew it would be perfect for our school.

3. Love this idea! I think it’s great that you were able to get it all into a bag!

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

My goal was to get it in this smaller bag, although I have a larger one. It made me evaluate what I really needed for school.

4. This is a fabulous idea! I’m not yet homeschooling (little man is 18 months) but we do not have anything that will work as a “school room” we don’t even have a “play room” so everything will be in the living room, dining area. This will be great to use! I’m pinning it–if I can figure out how! I’m new to Pinterest!

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

Awesome! If you click on the P (pinterest button) at the end of my post, it should let you pin it!

5. I love this idea. We are very much “on the go” at times. I would love to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

6. Great space! And, I *love* the bag. I have one just like it and take it everywhere!! Blessings for a great school year!

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

Yea! The bag has made it easy to make sure I have everything in one spot.

7. Janet says:

How do you keep your tot from dumping all the craft supplies!!! I have one little boy who just loves to dump and rip things.

Any tips for that 18 month old?!?

• Mommy Cameron | Homeschooling says:

I really don’t have a lot of craft supplies in our bag, each boy, even my youngest who just turned 2, has his own notebook with his own supplies. What supplies I do have in the bag are in ziploc bags so that it take a little more effort to make a mess.

I have also made “busy bags” for him to use during school time now that he doesn’t take naps. Until a couple of weeks ago, we would wait to do school while my youngest was taking his afternoon nap, so he wouldn’t be a big distraction.