|December 4, 2012||Posted by Mommy Cameron | Ramblings under Breakfast, Dessert, In the Kitchen|
After an unsuccessful dinner last night of homemade mac and cheese, sweet potatoes, and homemade chicken nuggets, I am happy to report that this mornings breakfast was a huge success. Thing 1 had two helpings this morning for breakfast, one helping as a snack, and another for lunch. Daddy Cameron even had two helpings this morning at breakfast. Thing 2 took a bite, but didn’t like the blueberries in it, but he is so strange that his vote doesn’t count. And, well, Thing 3 never got a chance to taste any because Thing 1 ate all of his.
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
For the Batter
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup of honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of milk
2.5 cups of fresh blueberries
For the Topping:
4 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, cinnamon and honey.
4. Add egg to the large bowl and mix until smooth.
5. Add vanilla and mix again.
6. Alternate between adding flour mixture and milk until mixed. Do not over beat.
7. Stir in blueberries until evenly distributed.
8. Grease 9X13 inch baking pan and pour in batter.
9. In a separate bowl (I used the bowl that held the flour mixture), combine the topping ingredients. Using a fork, squish the butter until it make a crumbly topping. Then sprinkle on top of the cake.
10. Bake cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
12.. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Just another day Cooking with the Cameron Clan!
|July 17, 2012||Posted by Mommy Cameron | Ramblings under Dessert, In the Kitchen|
Last week I took the to pick blueberries. We came home with two gallons of yummy blueberries. Since I had all of these blueberries, I decided to make a blueberry cobbler. Just to let you know, I have never made a cobbler before, so this was a new experience for me. Also, since we don’t have any white sugar in our house, I had to adapt this recipe to use honey instead. The overall consensus what was that it was pretty darn good.
Inside of the Cobbler:
4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 C honey
1/2 tsp. flour (I used whole wheat)
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
Top of Cobbler:
1 and 1/4 C flour (I used whole wheat)
3 tsp. baking powder
5 Tbsp Butter
1 C Milk
5 Tbsp honey
To Make the Inside:
1. Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking dish.
2. Place the blueberries into the dish.
3. Mix in the lemon, honey, flour and melted butter.
4. Set aside.
To Make the Top:
5. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and honey.
6. Work in butter until it is in small pieces.
7. Mix in milk. You should get a thick batter or a wet dough consistency.
8. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
Put it all together:
9. Preheat over to 375 degrees.
10. Spoon the batter onto the top of the blueberries.
11. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
12. Let cool and serve. Enjoy!
We enjoyed ours with some homemade vanilla ice cream. Yum!